Belgium offers many opportunities for growth or expansion, with corporate tax incentives, a diversified economy, and a strong workforce. With 11 million people and 3 official languages, businesses find that Belgium is a great stepping stone into the European market.
There are many options for companies looking to start or grow their business in Belgium. There are 4 common types of business entities to get started; Foreign Branch, Public Limited, Private Limited Liability, and Starter-Private Limited Liability. Belgian labor laws allow for different protections for workers depending on their level and type of work. Workers from outside the EU will need a work permit and visa to legally work in Belgium, and you must register employees with the social security administration and comply with employment regulations. Employment contracts must be in French, Dutch or German and once employees are hired the employer must register them with multiple government authorities. Penalties are high for non-compliance.
Labor and Payroll Considerations in Belgium:
- Fixed-term employment contracts must be in writing
- Collective Bargaining Agreements are a key source of labor regulations, and can be negotiated at the national, industry, and company levels
- The National Minimum wage is €1,593.80 per month
- If a company has more than 50 employees, they must provide work regulations approved by the Ministry of Employment to new employees
- Employers with more than 100 employees must establish a Workers’ Council
- As of 2019, Belgium implemented the Single Permit system for foreign nationals that are not from the EU or Switzerland, which simplifies the work and residence permit process
If you would like to simplify operations in Belgium, or are just getting started, we can help. Our easy-to-use payroll technology with customized, aggregated reporting gives you real-time access to your payroll across all countries and currencies. We have a hybrid service model with a US-based team and in-country experts to ensure compliance for your payroll in Belgium. Click here to learn more about our payroll solutions