Mali is a land-locked country in West Africa with a population of more than 18 million people. The economy in Mali is driven by agriculture and fishing, but Mali is also the third-largest exporter of gold in Africa.
There are several challenges to starting operations in Mali, with several labor and payroll considerations including:
- Minimum wage is 40,635 CFA Francs per month ($68 USD)
- Fixed-term employment contracts must be in writing
- Social security contributions are withheld from employee pay and must be submitted monthly to the National Institute of Social Security
- Income tax is withheld from employee pay
- Employers must pay payroll tax
- Foreign workers must be sponsored by the employer and require a visa before entering Mali
Blue Marble has created easy-to-use technology with customized reporting so you have real-time access to your payroll costs across all countries and currencies. Our unique hybrid service model gives you a US-based service team and direct access to in-country experts to help when questions come up. To learn more or get started in Mali, click here.