Oman has a population of more than 5 million people, with top industries including tourism, oil, and natural gas. There are many opportunities for business growth for companies looking to expand.
Corporate tax rates are based on the industry, and the tax year is the same as the calendar year. There are several payroll and labor considerations when hiring employees in Oman:
- Standard working hours are 9 hours per day, 45 per week
- Friday and Saturday are considered the “weekend” days of the week
- Minimum wage is OMR 225 per month ($584 USD) plus an allowance of OMR 100 for Oman citizens (no allowance for foreign workers)
- Social security contributions are withheld from employee pay
- There is no income tax for employees
- Companies must use the digital Wages Protection System (WPS) to send wages to employees
- Foreign workers must obtain an employment visa, residence card, and residence permit to begin work in Oman
- There are foreign worker quotas for each industry
- There is a long-standing policy in Oman to encourage the hiring of local workers
Funding options for payroll are limited in Oman, as you must have a local bank account to pay employees. Our in-country experts can help navigate the payroll funding to ensure compliance.
If you are expanding in Oman or need to simplify operations, Blue Marble has created a cloud-based payroll platform with customized, aggregated monthly reporting to provide real-time access to your payroll in Oman. Our unique hybrid service model gives you a dedicated US-based service team and direct access to in-country experts in Oman to ensure you stay ahead of changes and in compliance with payroll and labor regulations. Click here to get started