Malawi has a population of over 18 million people with key sectors including agriculture, tourism, and food processing. Many types of business structures can be created in Malawi, offering companies many opportunities to expand. Corporate tax rates vary by industry, and quarterly tax submissions are required.
Some labor and payroll considerations in Malawi include:
- Standard work hours are 48 per week
- Work contracts can be verbal, but specific details for a position must be written
- Minimum wage is 23,467 MWK per month
- Malawi uses a Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE) system for tax collection
- Income and social security taxes are withheld by the employer
- Employers must contribute to social security
- Foreign workers need a Temporary Employment Permit (TEP)
- Employers must prove that a foreign worker’s skills cannot be found locally
To get started or improve operations in Malawi, Blue Marble has created cloud-based technology with customized reporting to view payroll in real-time across 145+ countries. You can easily manage employee payroll and compliance all on one platform to ensure you stay ahead of regulations and requirements. Talk to us today about simplifying payroll in Malawi.